Easy weeknight meal ideas is what I am forever scouting for. It saves my time and makes the man happy. Except for Tuesdays, for every single meal the man needs to eat non veg.There are times when I am totally out of ideas or the patience to produce something new. But thanks to the neighbourhood supermarkets , you are spoilt for choice. While I would mostly stick to buying fresh fish from my regular fish monger, once in a while something frozen comes in handy too. A pack of frozen Basa fillet is what caught my fancy on my last trip to the supermarket and scores of recipes started flodding my head!So I promptly grabbed the pack with the intention of cooking it up with some jazz. With winter just about to say goodbye, I wanted to use up the last batch of spinach from my kitchen garden. Teaming it up with the fish seemed like a fabulous option. So here’s my recipe of Grilled Fish with Spinach.
I used Basa but any white fish fillet like bhetki would do just fine. Just keep an eye while cooking the fish so that u don’t overcook. It takes very little time.
I kept the sauce chunky in texture but you can puree it into a smooth sauce as per your taste. Just grind the sauce in a handblender and strain
- Basa Fish fillets - 4-6 pieces - You can use any other white fish fillet like bhetki
- Olive oil - few tsps.
- Fresh Parsely - a handful finely chopped
- Salt - to taste
- Pepper - to taste
- For the Spinach sauce -
- Spinach leaves - 1 cup - finely chopped
- Onion - 1 medium - finely chopped
- Garlic - 2-3 cloves - minced
- Cottage cheese /Paneer - 2 tbsp. - grated
- cheddar cheese - 1 tbsp. - grated
- Fresh cream - 1 tbsp.
- salt - to taste
- Pepper - to taste
- Sugar - a pinch
- Cherry tomatoes for garnish
- Marinate the fish fillets with olive oil, salt ,pepper and chopped parsley. Keep aside while the sauce is being made.
- For the sauce:
- Heat a tsp of olive oil in a pan. Add the minced garlic and chopped onion and sweat it till transluscent. Don't brown it.
- Next add the chopped spinach and cook covered till the water released from spinach dries up.
- Add grated cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, salt, pepper and sugar and give it a good mix.
- Add fresh cream, remove from heat and keep aside.
- Preparing the fish:
- In a thick bottomed pan, brush a little olive oil. Place the fish fillets and cook for 2-3 mins on each side. Don't overcook the fish or it gets a rubbery texture.
- Remove from pan and serve along with the spinach sauce. Garnish with cherry tomatoes and freshly chopped parsley.