Its that time of the year again! You wake up in the morning to feel that nip in the air, that pujo pujo smell all around ( Its for real I tell u) ,the blossoming of kaash phool all around , that urge to get some new clothes no matter how old you are and food ofcourse. Durga Puja for me is laden with memories. From ever since that I can remember , I have spent these 4 days at my paternal grandparents house where pujo is celebrated with much fervour. Now I make it a point to be at my Baaper Bari, no matter what. My Maa has very diligently kept up the traditions passed on to her by my Thamma(paternal grandmom) and every year we get together and celebrate Maa Durga with lots of zeal.During these three days , a strict vegetarian menu is followed. It is on Doshomi that my father gets home the choicest of fishes and meat that is cooked to perfection by my Maa and now I make a few dishes as well. Our doshomi lunch would ineveitably comprise of Bhapa Iilish, Ilish Maacher Dim Bhaja , Rui Kalia and Kosha Mangsho. I am sure most Bengalis would swear by that menu.
But sometimes too much of traditional fare can get a bit boring and at such times there is no harm in experimenting a little and churning up something different in your kitchen. This recipe of Milk Poached Chicken Roast is innovative and well as comforting to your palate. So this Durga Pujo try and rustle it up in your kitchen.
Serve it up with some mashed potatoes and sautéed vegtables by the side and one is good to go.
- Chicken - 4 large pieces - Cut a whole chicken into 4 pieces - make some gashes on the pieces
- Mushrooms - 1 cup - diced
- Onions - 1 large - diced
- Garlic - few fat pods - crushed
- Black peppercorns - 1 tsp - crushed
- Thyme - 1 tbsp. - I used the dried variety
- Rosemary - 1 tbsp. - I used the dried variety
- Salt - to taste
- Red chillies - finely chopped for garnish
- Butter - 2 tbsp.
- Milk - 1 cup
- Lemon zest - of one lime
- In a non stick pan, heat the butter.
- Sautee the garlic till fragrant.
- Add the diced onions. Fry till translucent.
- Now add the mushrooms and cook for 2-3 mins. Let the water released by the mushrooms evaporate.
- Now add the chicken pieces along with the pepper, dried thyme and rosemary and salt to taste.
- Fry the chicken pieces till light brown on each side.
- Now add the cup of milk and the lemon zest.
- Cover and let it simmer for 5 mins.
- Remove from heat and transfer in to a baking dish. Sprinkle the chopped red chillies on top. Cover the dish with an aluminium foil.
- Roast in an oven at 180 deg C for 15-20 mins .
- Serve hot with mashed potatoes and sautéed vegetables of your choice.
I am sending this recipe to the ongoing Shubho Sharadiya event at KFB