There are a few kitchen staples that always come handy while you are at it! In my last post I mentioned how I ensure to have a few sauces and ingredients available in my kitchen always, some I use store bought and some I make at home from scratch. If you have kids at home then this particular recipe of a very versatile and tasty pizza/ pasta sauce will be super useful. Their hunger pangs /demand for fancy stuffs can be fulfilled easily. I have an 8 year old in the house and his sudden cravings for a cheesy pasta or a gooey pizza is met with in a jiffy. As a mother we worry about too many preservatives in readymade sauces, so it is just perfect that we make a fresh batch of this sauce and store it.
This recipe is by far the easiest version you can find. It has some vegetables to go with the tomato and is oven roasted, so double easy!. I added yellow and red bell pepper as it adds to the taste and texture of the sauce by adding a fresh sweetness in contrast to the acidity of the tomatoes. Season it with herbs of your choice, no hard and fast rule on that and use this sauce as and when you need it.
- Tomatoes - 4 large - diced
- Red bell pepper - 1 large - diced
- Yellow bell pepper - 1 large - diced
- Onion - 2 medium - diced
- Garlic - 10-12 fat cloves
- Chiili flakes - 1 tsp - optional
- Oregano - a generous sprinkling
- Thyme - a generous sprinkling
- Salt - to taste
- Olive oil - 3 tbsp
- In an oven proof dish , mix in all the ingrdients.
- Grill in a preheated oven at 200 deg C for 30 mins.
- Keep it aside to cool.
- Blend into a puree. Strain through a sieve if you desire a silky consistency. I prefer no to do that as it loses out on the healthy fibres.
- Store in an airtight jar in the refrigerator.
- Keeps well for a week.
- Use while making pizzas, pastas or use as spread on your grilled sandwich.