Diwali is here with so much light and sparkle all around as. I had a super busy week cleaning and prepping my home for the festival. My single point focus becomes putting up lights all over my house, changing up the décor and prettying up every nook and corner. So much so that I completely ignored the food front. Now whats Diwali without some homemade sweets and finally got the time to whip up some sweet deliciousness in my kitchen. Moong Dal Halwa is something I totally love and the nip in the air calls for a bowl of hot hot halwa.
The best part about hoeme made sweets is that you can control the sweetness and know what exactly has gone into it so that your little ones can enjoy it without any fear. I used condensed milk instead of sugar syrup and that kind of makes it so very easy to make this dish. So don’t wait just head into the kitchen!
I also take this opportunity to wish each one of you a Diwali filled with love and light. Spread joy all around you, dress up and indulge in the festivities with your friends and family coz that exactly I love to do.
- Moong Dal - 1 cup - washed and soaked in water for 2 hrs.
- Ghee - 100 gms
- Condensed milk - 1 cup
- Cardamom powder - 1 tsp
- Almonds - a handful - chopped finely
- Raisins - a handful - optional
- Drain the moong dal and grind into a fine paste using the mixer grinder. Make sure to use very little water while grinding.
- In a non stick pan, heat the ghee.
- Add the moong dal paste and start stirring it into the ghee.
- Continue to stir the mixture on low heat for atleast 15 mins till the mixture smells fragrant and the raw taste of the dal is cooked through.
- Keep the flame low at all times. Keep stirring once a while.
- The mixture with turn a nice golden colour .
- Add the chopped almond, raisins(if using) and cardamom powder.
- Now add a cup of condensed milk and stir in well.
- Conitnue to stir for another 5to 7 mins, till you reach the desired consistency.
- Don't overcook or else the halwa will go dry.
- Remove from heat and serve hot in little bowls.
- Can be reheated in the micro as and when served.