In my quest to make easy but delicious everyday meals I have been making a lot of Indo Chinese dishes. Today on the menu was some Chili Fish, that i served with some steamed long grain rice and pickled vegetables. The markets are filled with fresh green vegetables and this is the best time to indulge in the goodness of these greens.
My choice of fish was basa but any boneless fish fillet would work fine I reckon. Feel free to add some peppers to the gravy if u wish to, it enhances the taste.
For pickled vegetables, cut carrots and cucumber in thin strips. Make a mixture of vinegar, salt, sugar and tabasco. You can add some chopped red chilies for heat. Soak the cucumber and carrot strips in this mixture for an hour and serve with the fish. Can easily be stored in the refrigerator for a couple of days.
- Basa fillets - 8-10 nos
- Onion - 1 large finely chopped
- Garlic - 8to10 pods - crushed
- Spring onion -a handful chopped
- Ginger paste - 1 tsp
- Soy sauce - 1 tbsp
- 'Vinegar - 1 tsp
- Red chilli sauce - 1 tbsp
- Veg stock/warm water - 1 cup
- Green chilies- a few - chopped
- Corn flour - 1 tbsp mixed with little water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sugar - a pinch
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Marinate the fish fillets with a tsp of soy sauce, salt, pepper and a tsp of corn flour.
- Pan fry till cooked and keep aside.
- Preparing the gravy:
- Heat oil in a non stick pan.
- Add garlic and ginger paste.
- Next add the chopped oinions and saute till browned on low heat.
- Add soy sauce, vinegar, red chilli sauce, salt, pepper and sugar.
- Add a cup of stock/water and let the gravy simmer.
- Add the spring onion and chilies.Check for seasoning.
- Add the fish fillets to the gravy.
- Lastly add the cornflour slurry amd remove from heat as the sauce thickens.
- Serve with rice.